Sunday, March 18, 2012

Replay: Is Anger Killing Your Art?

Today, because I think it is an idea so worthy of considering, I am hitting 'replay' on Seth Godin's blog post of August 2011.  Sometimes we need to revisit and keep thoughts cycling.


Here is his post:


Is your anger killing your art?


It's rare to find a consistently creative or insightful person who is also an angry person.*


They can't occupy the same space, and if your anger moves in, generosity and creativity often move out. It's difficult to use revenge or animus to fuel great work.


Ironically, when you decide to teach someone a lesson they richly deserve, you often end up strangling the very source you were counting on.


(*Angry is not the same as being a jerk. For some reason, there are plenty of creative jerks--I think because they mistakenly believe that being a jerk is a useful way for some people to wrestle with their lizard brains).


There are a number of responses to his blog post that you can google, but one that I thought was particularly helpful in unpacking what Seth says is that of Becky Blanton, writer and photographer


I think that about sums it up. I intend to think about how anger and other taxing emotions such as jealousy, and franticness (I made that word up) affect my art. And then I intend to clear my head and make more art in my Zazzle store, Art in Photography.


I encourage you to visit Seth Godin's blog and Becky Blanton's blog



Zinnia Pop Poster print
Zinnia Pop Poster by artinphotography
Browse for more wall art on Zazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment