Thursday, August 4, 2011

But I Just Want to Take Photographs!

Or write books. Or walk dogs. Or whatever is your particular passion. I know. Whine, whine, whine. We've all heard it a gajillion times before and we've all read others saying it and rolled our eyes.  C'mon, don't pretend you haven't.

But this time it's me! Do I want to figure out how to create a blog?  Do I want to figure out how to write a Squidoo lens?  Do I want to fight Facebook to get a photography page going on there?  No! No! No! A million times no! (like, really emphatically)

I just want to take photographs (she said meekly). Apparently if you are not independently wealthy or have mysterious automatic entry to endless buyers of your art or writing, you can't just take photographs/write/walk the dog and expect people to throw their millions at you. It's just a fact today. Apparently you have to go through this painful social networking process. And believe me, it is painful. Sooo painful. I actually cried with Facebook Frustration yesterday (stop laughing, it's a bona fide affliction that I made up this very minute).  I feel your pain.

But I'm here, living and breathing and over my Facebook Frustration, to tell you that if you are not one of those techno-whizzes who can whip up a Squidoo lens, a twitter account, a blog and a business Facebook page in a couple of hours, there is still hope. You can (after much gnashing of teeth and swearing at google) figure it out. Persevere. If I can do it, you can do it. It may not be perfect, but it's a start.

And here is what Samson has to say about that:

Yeah. Just throw the ball and get over it.

6 comments:

  1. Job well done, Kara! I'll have to bookmark or follow on FB (FB probably easier). I'm sure you're relieved to have it up and running. I'll try to check in from time to time. Busy life right now, but guess we're all in the same boat. Happy Blogging! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sally! And yes, I am relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very engaging writing. You've inspired and refreshed me more than you know. Best of luck with everything you undertake, Joan (someone who just wants to play the violin, etc. - maybe this lovely post of yours will get me past something....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya. I just want to take pictures but have discovered after wrestling with Zazzle, Cafepress, Flickr, smugmug, my blog, my own website, yada yada yada that it's still not enough. And I loathe Facebook.
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kara, welcome to the blogosphere! I love your writing style and look forward to your future posts. Life would be great if we could be carefree, so that we could shoot and edit and share and write and so on, without constraint or guilt. But alas, that t'aint happening anytime soon, at least not for me. But I do think that when you have to do more with less, you improve. You've managed to be very creative even with your busy life, so proof positive! Keep up the great work Kara. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouraging commments, everyone! It is very nice to hear your thoughts on the topic.

    ReplyDelete